Offsprung

An irreverent, inclusive, alternative parenting community

Ok, I'm still tempted to ask on FB for which laws precisely people are upset, because I think most people supported most of the laws enacted.  But, that's not always how our system works.  I may still have to de-friend a few people.  But before I do, I want to post my favorite (tongue in cheek) posts from FB.  

Edited to add: I really meant for others to add their favorite posts if you want.  But maybe you all have all done your FB purging already!

Tags: Elections, FB, Tea-Party

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Status 1:

Californication is what is happening to Colorado. Very disappointed with Colorado voters for letting the debt strapped and moral corruption of California seep their influence into our recent elections. I know I should celebrate our conservative gains, but there is so much more work to do. Californication is the merging of the state and fornication for those of you who are unfamiliar with the coinage.

This guy I really want to tell off because he was my old youth minister, responsible for my own f***ed up sexuality.

Status 2:

R.A. What if they had a Tea Party, and everyone came?
R.A. is disappointed by the [Iowa] electorate regarding judicial retention.

Dude they go hand in hand.
Do I engage or walk away? Sometimes I think, especially in example 1, that they really forget that there are real people involved. So that's the only reason I would engage.
I'd send your old youth pastor a nasty message and then de-friend him. The FB equivilant to a flaming bag of dog turds.


Daria said:
Status 1:

Californication is what is happening to Colorado. Very disappointed with Colorado voters for letting the debt strapped and moral corruption of California seep their influence into our recent elections. I know I should celebrate our conservative gains, but there is so much more work to do. Californication is the merging of the state and fornication for those of you who are unfamiliar with the coinage.

This guy I really want to tell off because he was my old youth minister, responsible for my own f***ed up sexuality.

Status 2:

R.A. What if they had a Tea Party, and everyone came?
R.A. is disappointed by the [Iowa] electorate regarding judicial retention.

Dude they go hand in hand.
I try to stay away from politics on Facebook, only because I don't think I can change anyone's mind, and I know they won't change mine. I spare myself the aggravation.
That's been my recent strategy, which is why I needed to vent over here. If I'm not going to respond to them, I have to let it out somewhere.

DLBK said:
I try to stay away from politics on Facebook, only because I don't think I can change anyone's mind, and I know they won't change mine. I spare myself the aggravation.
Californication is the merging of the state and fornication for those of you who are unfamiliar with the coinage.

Whoa...Dude...I never would have put that together...thanks for clearing that up for me. I was trying to figure out what an ication was...
Well, you guys know all too well that I don't shy away from political debate. Even if I know that the person I am debating with will never change there mind, I know there are people out there reading what both of us are saying, and I hope that the things I say can help them maybe see things my way.

but in terms of people supporting most of the laws enacted, I don't think I understand. Are you talking about how there were over 40,000 laws passed nationwide last year? If that's the case, I don't see how people could support them since they probably don't even know most of them. If I'm off on that, please let me know. I'm a little confused on that.

What I've found really interesting about facebook is that I'm finding many people that were close friends in either high school or college or so opposite of me politically these days that I risk them de-friending me if I get too in their face about politics.
As a (former) Californian, I'm not clear on how, exactly, California can be blamed for Colorado's voting. And what did Colorado do that had anything to do with fornication? Vote down fetal personhood?
Also, that whole thing about California being a bunch of godless fornicators is a myth. Most of the state is pretty conservative, pretty religious, and pretty rural. It's no longer 1975; most of the "godless fornicators" everyone believes exist in California are now living in the suburbs, having boring sex lives with their spouses, and have kids in high school.
And, Daria, I know you and I like you and I respect you and I consider you a friend. So can I gently say that perhaps the youth pastor who effed up your sexuality doesn't need to be in your life, facebook or otherwise? If you have to be "friends" for political/family reasons, can you block him? Because nobody who makes you feel bad about yourself should be allowed space in your life. You deserve way better than that.


kommishoner said:
Daria, I know you and I like you and I respect you and I consider you a friend. So can I gently say that perhaps the youth pastor who effed up your sexuality doesn't need to be in your life, facebook or otherwise? If you have to be "friends" for political/family reasons, can you block him? Because nobody who makes you feel bad about yourself should be allowed space in your life. You deserve way better than that.

Agreed

The rest I am not sure. I actually have not been able to check out the outcomes other than what I saw before midnight last night. I would love to Geek Out with CNN, but we only have one tv and the toddler would freak his head off if I had it on CNN instead of NickJr.

Other than OS friends no one has made any political comments on facebook other than to say they voted. My dad is a die hard republican who probably still has dreams that Hilary Clinton is going to bust into his house and take his guns away, but I am happy to report he watches CNN instead of Fox News, so there is very little in the way of freak outs.

My cousin posted Carlin's "why I don't vote" clip from YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIraCchPDhk, so I assume he didn't vote, but who knows.
Well, I exaggerated a bit. This youth pastor I think jumped onto the "Why Wait" campaign (if I have my chronology correct). So, I have all sorts of lingering feelings from the abstinence campaign, but his influence was more indirect than direct.

Why I stay friends with these people? I don't know. It doesn't bug me most days--I guess I like getting my conservative news firsthand. Instead of reading TPM who tells me about what the latest right-wing meme, I get to read it directly.

The paster I would never, ever, ever be friends with is the one that counseled my ex-ex-gay-boyfriend and I. He was the one who gave me the direct "you should be the woman, be feminine and support your boyfriend in his efforts to be male and the leader" speech.
My favorite from a rabid Tea Partier:

"'The times, they are-a-changin' '
Bob Dylan
Happy November 03 Everybody..."

1) Invoking Bob Dylan is....interesting.
2) This guy was, until recently, close to 5 years unemployed, now he works part time as a 911 operator and had to sell his appliances to survive recently. I'm sure TP policies are sure to help that right out.
3) Most of his previous status updates relate to his ex-girlfriend's unsuccessful attempts at getting the state of Georgia to get her son on SCHIP, and it's not said, "Oh, I'm so glad they keep turning the welfare mother down." More like, "This white boy deserves it, he's a CITIZEN, can't you see!?"
4) His "Happy November" relates entirely to electing social conservatives. Since the rest of his posts are bible verses and hails to Jesus, I can assume he's not really up to date on exactly why he's against cap and trade.

Like GL said, high school friend who went in a radically different direction. I should take him off the list, but it's just so entertaining.
Hmm... except for my cousin and various older relatives who cannot see my status, almost every single person I know on Facebook is politically similar to me. I'm talking elementary school friends, high school friends, etc. And I didn't go to school in liberal places. I guess I'm strange enough I sought out people tolerant of strangeness. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS


© 2014   Created by Offsprunger.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service